Here are 10 Tips To Save Money In College. College students normally have many needs that not even their scholarships, grants or parents can solve. Campus life can therefore be challenging if one does not learn how to save money. Here are 10 simple tips that will guide you in saving money in college.
- Compare prizes: As a college student, you will always want to work with a thin budget so that you are able to save some money while shopping. A good way to achieve this is by comparing the prices of every item before buying. Compare prizes from different stores and determine which stores actually sell the cheapest. This way, you can always buy your items from such stores and save some money.
- Get a part-time job: Part time jobs have become common to many college students as they help supplement income to learning students. You can use your expertise to get a part-time job and be able to bring back some money at the end of the month. Luckily enough, you can even get an online job and work from your hostel. There are also colleges which offer part-time jobs to their willing students; jobs like maintaining a library, an office and many others. All you need is to inquire with your college whether they have such jobs.
- Always buy cheaper brands: You do not have to go for the expensive popular brands if you want to trim your budget. As a student, there are many items you can just buy their respective cheaper and generic brands and save thousands. You should however be careful to buy items of good quality that will last longer.
- Stick up to your budgets: College life requires good budgets and being able to stick to them. Many college students have the tendency of overspending or spending on things outside their budgets. As a student looking forward to saving money, stick to your budget always.
- Manage your credit card bills well: Much as credit cards are very useful to virtually everybody, they can also be your ruin more so if you have the tendency of making overdraft and late payments. Manage all your credit cards and pay all their bills on time. Late payments of credit cards bills can leave you with high amounts of money to pay as late payment bills. overdraft also have fine like fees that will only inflate your monthly bills. You should avoid all these for a chance to save more money.
- Learn the aspect of borrowing: Borrowing is not actually a bad idea for a college student. You cannot have everything you need. For instance, college textbooks, it is almost impossible for an average college student to buy all the textbooks that he needs. Learn to borrow from friends and if possible exchange with those that you have. This will save you the hustle involved with buying several textbooks.
- Get memberships to different discount programs: There are many discount programs now available that caters for the needs of students. Such discount programs can help you save money on a lot of things. Many of the discount programs have discount stores where their members can get items for cheaper. There are also many benefits that their members enjoy that you will find favorable as a student.
- Keep track of all your expenses: Saving money starts from within you. You must be able to account for all your expenses. Always store the data concerning your expenditures, whether monthly or annually. Keeping track of your expenses will enable you determine where most you use your resources and how to save money on them. You will also be able to avoid overspending.
- Learn to repurpose and be conservative: You should learn on how to repurpose your items. There are many in-house items that you can repurpose. You can use smart boxes as your shelves. Concerning books, you should keep them safe from physical damages and liquids that might render them unusable. You should therefore make your own library where you store the books. This way, you can always use the books for reference instead of having to buy new ones. You can also resell them for extra money. Also, check out our post on tips to save money on Prom Dress.
- Get students savings and checking account: In a bid to improve your savings, you should make sure you have a convenient, banking system that caters for your saving activities. First make sure you have a student account that charges no extra costs toward maintaining your account. Your bank should be that which caters for all your needs and enable you manage your checking and finances easily using platforms like online banking.
Image Credit: Click Here