Health insurance plans range in prices – from the ridiculously expensive to the reasonably affordable. Insurance companies, like invisible doctors, hold our lives in their hands. Health insurance in the United States is truly a bone of contention between the main political parties. Each time a new President is elected, health care is an issue that rattles the walls of Congress and The White House.
So, while the leaders of the nation argue and pontificate on the merits and demerits of the health care system, the average person continues to ponder ways of saving money on health care insurance. How to save money on health care insurance; let’s look at some ways to save that will still allow you to live a normal and happy life.
1. Make use of the “higher deductible” option that you should be able to find in any insurance plan. This will allow you to save hundreds of dollars on month premiums; money that is best in your pocket than the investment pockets of corporate America. It is important, however, to have an emergency health fund so that in the event something happens, you are able to cover the deductible.
2. If your doctor recommends medication, choose a generic brand of the same drug. For example, if your doctor recommends a famous brand drug, ask him if there is a less known drug that you could take that would do the same job. Remember, sometimes doctors get kick-backs from pharmaceutical companies. When you ask for a generic brand you are, in effect, cutting the doctor’s kick-back. You are also able to purchase over-the-counter medication from such retailers as Wal-mart, Target, etc for reasonable prices.
3. Instead of visiting a doctor in a well known hospital or clinic, visit a doctor at a university clinic or hospital. You shouldn’t shy away from university clinics and hospitals; generally the staff (doctors and nurses alike) will do much more to help you. For example, if you pay a monthly fee of $40.00 for medication prescribed by a doctor in a large hospital, you may find that a university hospital will charge you less for the same medication. University hospitals are excellent places to visit when you are ill because they are continually changing and adapting to changes in society – this includes changes medication and medical techniques.
4. Private health care insurance is something you should be able to save money on. Many times company employers don’t offer the best deals in health insurance – they too are trying to save. If you check the Internet you’ll find a slew of private insurance packages that are more affordable. There are also State controlled health insurance schemes that you could tap into.
5. Consider join a discount health insurance club. Companies like Careington and AmeriPlan offer various health insurance discounts. Each month you’ll have to pay a fee from around $12.00 to $30.00. These discount clubs also include dental savings.
6. The Farm Bureau insurance plan is another great way of saving money on health care insurance. No, you don’t have to be a farmer to join these state run insurance plans. Indeed, if where you reside, there is a Farm Bureau, I would recommend joining and taking advantage of the savings. Farm Bureau is also the ideal health care insurance group to be part of if you are self-employed or have a spouse. Go ahead, check it out.
The above six money saving ideas will allow you to have money in your pocket with which to enjoy life. For those who are switching jobs or making major career moves, ask your present insurance company if you could extend your current insurance policy until the new policy kicks in. Don’t risk having no insurance; it something happens to you and you lack the wherewithal to cover hospital bills, you’ll not be saving at all. Asking for an extension is quite common and requires little money.
Once you have settled into your new job and new life, simply cancel the extension as soon as the new, less expensive, health care insurance starts. Health insurance with always be a quandary for the United States Government Greed and anachronistic beliefs inhibit change. It is the average person paying ridiculously high health care insurance that are the ones who suffer. With the money saving ideas listed above, you’ll be able to get ahead and enjoy your life. The money you save will allow you to make those dreams you hold so near, become a reality.
Image Credit: Click Here